Computer Science for High School (CS4HS)
Third CS4HS Workshop
This free workshop will introduce a new AppInventor module to teach students how to develop their own Android app.
We will also provide many hands-on-activities to introduce Computer Science, robotics and and programming to upper primary, middle and high school
*Your school will have the possibility of borrowing a class set of Android phones to run this module with ongoing support from our students.
*Travel grants for country teachers
|| 1st-2nd October 2013
||The University of Adelaide
Innova Building, North Terrace campus
||Free of charge! but places are limited so you must register here by the 13th September 2013.
For more information contact us at email@example.com or call (08) 8313 5762
- App Inventor is a visual programming tool that lets you develop applications for Android phones using a web browser and either a connected phone or emulator.
- CS Unpluggled is a collection of free learning activities that teach Computer Science through engaging games and puzzles that use cards, string,
crayons and lots of running around. No computer equipment needed, hence the name. YouTube channel for CSunplugged has videos to support/show how to run the activities.
- Enchanting is an easy-to-use graphical programming tool for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT robots. It is based on Scratch from the MIT Media Lab, and powered by leJOS NXJ (Java for the NXT). Enchanting is free and open-source.
- Scratch is a graphical programming language that makes it easy to create your own interactive stories, animations, games, music, and art.
- Alice is a teaching tool for introductory computing. It uses 3D graphics and a drag-and-drop interface to facilitate a more engaging, less frustrating first programming experience.
- CS for Fun is a site which shows present interdisciplinary computer science research in a fun, accessible and offbeat way.
This is the provisional workshop timetable
Tuesday 1st October 2013
Wednesday 2th October 2013
| 8:45- 9:00 || Registration ||
|| 8:50- 9:00 || Registration
| 9:00- 9:30 || Welcome & Workshop introduction ||
|| 9:00- 9:30 || Talk: Digital Technologies curriculum in years 1-6 ||
| 9:30- 11:00 || Hands-on-session1: App Inventor introduction ||
|| 9:30- 11:00|| Hands-on-session 4: Scratch programming/ makey makey |
| 11:00- 11:30 || Morning Tea ||
|| 11:00- 11:30 || Morning Tea ||
| 11:30- 13:00 || Hands-on-session 2: App Inventor tutorials ||
||11:30- 12:45 || Hands-on-session 4:Alice programming/CS Unplugged
| 13:00- 13:45 || Lunch ||
|| 13:00- 13:45 || Lunch ||
| 13:45- 14:15 || Short talk: Experiences with AppInventor in a Year 9 class ||
|| 13:45- 15:00 || Panel: ACARA Digital Technologies curriculum in years 7-9 ||
| 14:15- 15:00 || Talk by Google engineer Joseph Kuen
| 15:00- 15:15 || Coffee break ||
|| 15:00- 15:15 || Coffee break ||
| 15:15-16:30 || Hands-on-session 3: Quiz App development in pairs ||
|| 15:15-16:30 || Hands-on-session 5: Enchanting Robotics
| 18:00-21:00 || Workshop Dinner (pending confirmation) ||
|| 16:30 || Wrap-up and feedback
Organized by The University of Adelaide, supported by Google's CS4HS initiative