Dr. Michael Sheng is
a full Professor and Deputy Head
of the School of Computer Science at the University of
holds a PhD degree in computer science from the University of New South
Wales (UNSW) and did his post-doc as
a research scientist at CSIRO ICT
Centre. From 1999 to 2001, Sheng also worked at UNSW as a visiting
research fellow. Prior to that, he spent 6 years as a senior software
engineer in industries.
Dr. Sheng has more than
260 publications as edited books and proceedings, refereed book chapters, and refereed technical papers in journals and conferences
including ACM Computing Surveys, ACM TOIT, ACM TOMM, VLDB
Journal, Computer (Oxford), IEEE TPDS, TKDE, DAPD, IEEE TSC, WWWJ, IEEE Computer, IEEE Internet Computing, Communications of the ACM, VLDB, ICDE, ICDM, CIKM, EDBT, WWW, ICSE, ICSOC, ICWS, and CAiSE.
He is one of the top-ranked authors in the "World Wide Web" research area by Microsoft Academic Search.
Dr. Michael Sheng is the recipient of the ARC Future Fellowship (2014), Chris Wallace Award for Outstanding Research Contribution (2012), and
Microsoft Research Fellowship (2003). He is a member of the IEEE and the ACM.
Dr. Michael Sheng's
professional activities, and
2015 Research Impact profile.
Media 1 on trust management research (ACM TechNews), Media 2 on aging population research (The Australian).
Web of Things, Internet of Things, Big Data Analytics, Web Science, Service-oriented Computing, Pervasive Computing,
- Enabling Context-Aware Web Services: Methods, Architectures, and Technologies.
Quan Z. Sheng, Jian Yu, Schahram Dustdar (Eds.), Chapman and Hall/CRC. February 2010. Amazon US, Amazon Japan, Amazon UK
- A Service Computing Manifesto: The Next 10 Years. Athman Bouguettaya, Munindar Singh, Michael Huhns, Quan Z.
Sheng, Hai Dong, Qi Yu, Azadeh Ghari-Neiat, Sajib Mistry, Boualem Benatallah, Brahim Medjahed, Mourad Ouzzani, Fabio Casati, Xumin Liu, Hongbing Wang, Dimitrios Georgakopoulos, Liang Chen, Surya Nepal,
Zaki Malik, Abdelkarim Erradi, Yan Wang, Brian Blake, Schahram Dustdar, Frank Leymann, and Mike Papazoglou. Communications of the ACM (CACM), 2016 (to appear).
- Things of Interest Recommendation by Leveraging Heterogeneous Relations in the Internet of Things. Lina Yao, Quan Z. Sheng, Anne H.H. Ngu, and Xue Li.
ACM Transactions on Internet Technology (TOIT), Vol 16, No 2, p9, 2016.
- When Things Matter: A Survey on Data-Centric Internet of Things. Yongrui Qin, Quan Z. Sheng, Nickolas J.G. Falkner, Schahram Dustdar, Hua Wang,
and Athanasios V. Vasilakos. Journal of Network and Computer Applications (JNCA), Vol 64, pp 137-153,
- CloudArmor: Supporting Reputation-based Trust Management for Cloud Services. Talal H. Noor, Quan Z. Sheng, Lina Yao, Schahram Dustdar, and Anne H.H. Ngu.
IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS), Vol 27, No 2, pp 367-380, 2016.
- SIEF: Efficiently Answering Distance Queries for Failure Prone Graphs. Yongrui Qin, Quan Z. Sheng, and Wei Emma Zhang.
The 18th International Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT 2015). Brussels, Belgium, March 23-27, 2015. [PDF]
- Web-based Management of the Internet of Things. Lina Yao,
Quan Z. Sheng, and Schahram Dustdar. IEEE Internet Computing, Vol 19, No 4, pp 60-67,
July/August, 2015. [PDF]
- Matching over Linked Data Streams in the Internet of Things. Yongrui Qin,
Quan Z. Sheng, and Edward Curry. IEEE Internet Computing, Vol 19, No 3, pp 21-27, May/June 2015.
- Analysis of Web-Scale Cloud Services. Talal H. Noor,
Quan Z. Sheng, Anne H.H. Ngu, and Schahram Dustdar. IEEE Internet Computing, Vol 18, No 4, pp 55-61, July/August 2014.
- Web Services Composition: A Decade's Overview. Quan Z. Sheng, Xiaoqiang Qiao, Athanasios V. Vasilakos, Claudia Szabo, Scott Bourne, and Xiaofei Xu.
Information Sciences, Vol 280, pp 218-238, October 2014. [PDF]
- Trust Management of Services in Cloud Environments: Obstacles and Solutions. Talal H. Noor, Quan Z. Sheng, Sherali Zeadally, and Jian Yu.
ACM Computing Surveys, Vol 46, No 1, p 12, 2013. [PDF]
- Modeling Object Flows from Distributed and Federated RFID Data Streams for Efficient Tracking and Tracing. Yanbo Wu, Quan Z. Sheng, Hong Shen, and Sherali Zeadally. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
(TPDS), Vol 24, No 10, pp 2036-2045, 2013. [PDF,
- Bootstrapping Ontologies for Web Services. Aviv Segev and Quan Z. Sheng. IEEE Transactions on Services Computing
(TSC), Vol 5, No 1, pp 33-44, 2012. [PDF]
- Separating Operational and Control Behaviors: A New Approach to Web Services Modeling.
Quan Z. Sheng, Zakaria Maamar, Hamdi Yahyaoui, Jamal Bentahar, and Khouloud Boukadi. IEEE Internet Computing, Vol 14, No 3, pp 68-76, May/Jun 2010. [PDF]
- Semantic-based Mashup of Composite Applications. Anne H.H. Ngu, Michael P. Carlson, Quan Z. Sheng, and Hye-young Paik. IEEE Transactions on Services Computing
(TSC), Vol 3, No 1, pp 2-15. January-March 2010. [PDF]
- Configurable Composition and Adaptive Provisioning of Web Services. Quan Z. Sheng,
Boualem Benatallah, Zakaria Maamar, Anne H.H. Ngu. IEEE Transactions on Services Computing
(TSC), Vol 2 No 1. pp 34-49. January-March 2009 [PDF].
- RFID Infrastructure Design: A Case Study of Two Australian RFID Projects.
John P.T. Mo, Quan Z. Sheng, Xue Li, Sherali Zeadally. IEEE Internet Computing,
Vol 13 No 1. pp 14-21. Jan/Feb 2009. [PDF]
- Enabling Next-Generation RFID Applications: Solutions and Challenges.
Quan Z. Sheng, Xue Li, Sherali Zeadally. IEEE Computer,
Vol 41 No 9. pp 21-28. September 2008. [PDF]
- User-Centric Services Provisioning in Wireless Environments.
Quan Z. Sheng, Boualem Benatallah, Zakaria Maamar. Communications of the
November, 2008, Vol 51 No 11. pp 130-135. [PDF]
- The Self-Serv Environment for Web Services Composition,
Boualem Benatallah, Quan Z. Sheng, Marlon Dumas. Jan/Feb, 2003, IEEE Internet Computing, Vol
7 No 1, pp 40-48. [PDF]
- Declarative Composition and Peer-to-Peer Provisioning of Dynamic
Web Services, Boualem Benatallah, Marlon Dumas, Quan Z. Sheng, Anne
H.H. Ngu. The 18th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering
(ICDE'02), pp 297-308, San Jose, California, USA, Feb, 2002. [PDF]
- Combining Multi-Visual Features for Efficient
Indexing in A Large Image Database, Anne H.H. Ngu, Quan Z. Sheng, Du
Huynh, Ron Lei. VLDB Journal,
Vol 9, No 4, pp 279-293, March 2001. [PDF]
Full list from DBLP
Citations of my papers from regularly maintained Google Scholar
My page at ResearchGate, Scopus,
Thomson Reuters ResearchID, ORCiD,
Microsoft Academic Search,
ACM Digital Library
Some Courses I Teach
- COMP SCI 7036: Software Engineering in Industry (Semester 1 2016)
- COMP SCI 3006: Software Engineering and Project (Semester 2 2013)
- COMP SCI 2005: System Programming in C/C++ (Semester 2, 2011)
- COMP/DEF SCI 7092: Mobile and Wireless Networks (Semester 2 2010)
All Courses I Taught
Recent Professional Services
- General Chair, The 5th Australasian Web Conference (AWC 2017). Geelong, Australia, 2017
- General Co-Chair, The 12th International Conference on Advanced Data Mining and Applications (ADMA 2016). Gold Coast, Australia, 12-15 Dec 2016.
- Program Co-Chair, The 2nd International Conference on Data Science and Systems (DSSA 2016), Sydney, Australia, 12-14 Dec 2016.
- Managing the Web of Things: Linking the Real World to the Web, Morgan Kaufmann, Elsevier.
(Call for Book Chapters)
- Program Co-Chair, The 14th International Conference on Service Oriented Computing (ICSOC 2016). Banff, Alberta, Canada, October 10-13, 2016
- Member of Editorial Board, Service-Oriented Computing and Applications (SOCA), Springer, 2011-
My dear mum (28/09/1945-31/05/2015), a beautiful human being from whom I never stopped learning 
- My hometown, Xi'an, click
see some fascinating pictures
- My little princesses Fiona and Phoebe
- Personal interests: running (personal records: 1000m 3'01"; 1500m
4'40"; 3000m 9'45"; 5000m 18'32", all of them were achieved when I
studied at Beihang University),
music, reading, travelling.
Wild Life Conservation