About the School
- Welcome from the Head of School
Professor Katrina Falkner
Head of School
The first devices that could be described as computers had hard disk drives the size of refrigerators and programming was done with punch cards. Only 60 years later, entire computers can be fitted into mobile phones, and the staff and students of the School of Computer Science are researching and studying in a field that is shaping the modern world.
Our learners are now preparing for a career in a field central to progress in nearly all aspects of life in the 21st century. From sports to medicine, battling climate change to building bridges, from wireless communication to analysing DNA, computer science and software engineering are providing the platforms for new discoveries and refined processes across all walks of life.
Over fifty years, the school has built a strong research ethos and is now internationally prominent in the areas of computer vision, distributed and high performance computing, evolutionary systems, formal methods, and software architectures. We enjoy strong links with industry and have also attracted considerable competitive research funding from the Australian Research Council.
It is a pleasure to be the Head of such an exciting school. Offering degrees in Computer Science and Software Engineering, while contributing to other degree programs in mathematics and engineering, we are educating students who are programming the future.
- Mission Statement
The School of Computer Science supports the missions of the University of Adelaide and the Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences in achieving wide international recognition, by:
- conducting research of international standard
- maintaining our position as one of the leading educators in computer science and software engineering in Australia
- producing graduates who will take their place as leaders in the profession and the community
- providing opportunities for high quality postgraduate education consistent with internationally recognised research
- providing excellence in teaching which is accessible to other disciplines and teaching institutions
- providing the community with specialised expertise and experience through consulting services
- providing a safe and rewarding work environment for its staff.